Each year, the Canadian Catholic School Trustees’ Association’s Endowment Fund Committee has an important task to complete. The committee meets annually to review school and student requests for tuition assistance and to allocate money from the Endowment Fund. They come to a decision based on the application criteria and the funds available for the given year.
The CCSTA Endowment Fund allocates tuition assistance to schools and students living in provinces with little – or no – funding for Catholic schools. British Columbia and Manitoba Catholic schools receive approximately 50 per cent public funding while New Brunswick, Newfoundland-Labrador and Nova Scotia receive none. Should parents want to enrol their children in a Catholic school within a non-funded province, they must have the financial means to pay the tuition.
The Endowment Fund committee met in May and reviewed the 12 school and 40 student applications. The requests totalled $92,400, and CCSTA met one-third of all requests, providing $29,450 in assistance. Each year requests for tuition assistance exceed the amount of money available, however Saskatchewan’s initiative to ignite healthy competition amongst the funded provinces to raise money to meet this annual demand made a difference. This year, the Toonies for Tuition campaign raised more than $35,000, making a $15,000 increase from last year’s numbers!
Toonies for Tuition Day – Tuesday, October 4, 2011
This year’s Toonies for Tuition Fundraising Day is quickly approaching!
On Tuesday, October 4, 2011, schools across the country will host special fundraising events to raise money for students who require Catholic school tuition assistance.
Toonies for Tuition Fundraising Ideas:
- Download a poster from our website and have a collection box in your school, office, or church.
- Ask your board/school/parish to support the Toonies campaign.
- Arrange to have a special day for a Toonies collection, maybe as part of a fun day or theme day. One year, a school in the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario hosted a crazy hat day. The funds raised went to Toonies for Tuition.
- Allocate a portion of the funds raised from your school dances to go to Toonies for Tuition
- Ask for donations in your newsletter or bulletin.
Learn more about the Toonies for Tuition Campaign, and how your school or organization can help.